Monday, December 13, 2010

A few things I've noticed

(They aren't really related so I couldn't think of a good title)

There was one scene at the end of chapter 21 that confused me. They were at the baron's house the first time and there was an awkward moment between Mameha and the Baron regarding a doctors appointment. Everything got even more awkward when someone mentioned an abortion. I couldn't exactly tell what was going on. It seemed as though she did need an abortion, especially since a chapter or two later it mentions that Mameha had "recovered." The baron also mentioned something about not having "little barons running around." But that was about the extent of it. The reader is left about as confused as the rest of the guests at the party. All in all, I didn't quite understand what was going on. I'm hoping maybe this is clarified later, or maybe it is supposed to be clear and I just didn't get it ;). Anyway, thoughts?

Another thing that I noticed about the writing style: Often in a 1st person narration, like this book, the reader learns along with the main character. As the character's story progresses and as they tell it, then the reader learns what the main character has learned at that point in time. In this book it is a bit different. It seems that we often learn ahead of Sayuri (that's what I've decided I'm calling her now). Sayuri is telling this story when she is much older, so she knows more than her younger self. Because of this she adds information that she thinks will be helpful for the reader to know, even if Sayuri doesn't know it herself at that point in time. The narrator does this quite frequently and I've noticed it more in this book than in other 1st person books that I've read. Do you think it is just a style, or that the author did it to make her seem even more realistic (like translator's note and everything)? Or any other ideas?

Finally, are either of you going anywhere over break? Because if you're not, maybe we could try to watch the movie sometime during that week. We will likely be finished with the book or at least close to finishing it by then.

4 comments:

  1. She was pregnant, but I think it isn't stated more directly because it wouldn't have been in that society. Even today, most people avoid talking directly about abortions.
    As for the 1st person, past tense. Is this different from nick in The Great Gatsby. He hints to Gatsby's fate from the beginning, even though his character doesn't yet know it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh alright, thanks, that makes sense. I also remembered later that the Baron was Mameah's danna, and that was an important piece of information for that little scene. woops.

    As for the first person, it's similar to The Great Gatsby, but it feels more noticeable in this book. Maybe it's just a manner of perception, but as a reader it is very clear that these events happened years and years in the past, whereas in the Great Gatsby it felt like it could have been maybe a year or two later. Of course, I may not be remembering correctly, but that was the feeling I got.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha good job =). I got that sense too about the narration in this book and I think it's because of how much the Sayuri jumps from the past to the present. She often describes how actions of people in present times act differently from those of her time, which reminds you that the story takes place in the past. Also, the fact that the story spanned nearly her entire life differs from the Great Gatsby, which took place in a year, and implies that Sayuri is telling it late in her life, making the events of the story seem distant.

    I don't think I'm going anywhere over break, so the movie sounds good to me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well i think from the title of the book you can gather that the author uses that style to make everything more realistic. Most memoirs are essentially autobiographies, however, this one isn't really a memoir at all according to the classic definition. The author of this book is a middle aged American man. Sometimes, when i'm reading i forget that Chiyo isn't actually a real person. Golden is really successful at fooling the audience into believing this piece of fiction is a real memoir.

    And in response to the last part of your post, I'd love to get together over break to watch the movie! Let me know what day works best :)

    ReplyDelete